Re: [MiNT] sending diffs to Apache and others....

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Katherine Ellis wrote:
>
> > btw Martin.
> > I just got micq latest src from micq official ftp server
> >
> > Anyway, all that to tell you that latest micq is available for MiNT and
> > running very well.
> > And that the Makefile mentions MiNT :))
> >
> > Btw,. How come we always (most of the time) need to change the stack size?
>
> No idea.

I don't know anything about micq, but unix programs often use the stack
instead of allocating memory with malloc because under unix the stack is
not limited. Also some programs like emacs make heavy use of alloc to
allocate the memory on the stack instead in the heap. Thus you don't
need to explicitly call free as the allocated memory on the stack is
freed automatically when the function returns.
A solution would be to make alloc act like malloc and large local
variables on the stack local.

> Yesterday, I realized that most "illegal instructions" and "buss errors"
> we encounter are caused by an insufficiently small stack.

Thru. Some programs like sed also produce wrong results with a small
stack.

> In my case, it's been CC1 always crashing in the middle of compiling
> my patched MINTLIB (with the paths changes to concur with FHS) if I'm
> doing something else at the same time.

If you are compiling with optimization, I would always set the stack
size to -1 and leave the computer alone.

> Increasing the stack on CC1 and GCC fixed it and I now have a fully
> FHS-compliant MINTLIB objects and headers collection I am using to
> rebuild MiNTOS and other things.

Sound good :o)

> Q:  is there any config file somewhere that says what is the default
> stack size after compiling?  Or perhaps, a utility (other than fxstk)
> that presets this after a compiling job?

Default stack size is 8KB. You can change this with `fixstk'.

jps