Re: [MiNT] shareware on MiNT?

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 10:09:42 +0200 (EET), Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> > Well, that doesn't surprise me at all.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > SPIN! is "gift" ware, which means that anybody who is using is is supposed
> > to send a gift (sooner or later). However the distribution is not restricted
> > in any way.
> >
> > The outcome: there is not a SINGLE registered user outside the German
> > speaking countries, despite the fact that there has been an English
> > translation of the docs for nearly one year now.
>
> I do have one very important question:
>
> How easy/difficult is it to register software outside Germany?
> What about, from outside European Union territory?
>
> Last year, I wanted to register a shareware (can't remember which)
> but I eventually gave up, because sending that 20 DM from Canada
> would have costed me more than the shareware fee itself.....

I agree with Martin-Eric here, registering foreign software is both
difficult and expensive. Most often the cost of buying checks or transfering
money to a foreign account is higher than the shareware-fee itself, and you
have to deal with a lot of paper-work.

Sending cash is not an option either, both because it's forbidden by law in
most countries (including Norway, where I live) and because the envelope most
likely will arrive empty...

There used to be a Interactive/Cyberstrider kind of registration-scheme here
in Norway, most of my registered shareware is paid through this. This service
disappeared quite some time ago.

My own Taskbar is "beerware", that means that you register by sending me a
beer-artifact of some kind. I have received registrations from the Czech
Republic, Belgium, Germany and Spain, but if I had requested money I don't
think I would have received anything at all.

Btw. Julian, I have not forgotten about the registration ;-)

/*
**
*/