Re: [MiNT] ftp server wanted

Hi!

Please consider this posting as an reply to the other related answer, too.

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 07:19:16AM -0700, Brent wrote:
> Guido Flohr wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I will have several files to upload in the near future.  What's the best
> > choice for that (no, not atari.archive.umich.edu, chances are 1:10 that I
> > get an "user anonymous access ok").
> >
> > One package is still under development.  It would be nice if the
> > maintainer will not be bothered too much if I upload a new version twice a
> > month...
> Guido
> What type of files are these.
> I will have an FTP site available very soon, as soon as my Domain move
> is registered with Internic.
> How much space would you require.

The package in question is mainly the GNU binutils.  The sources will
still reside on ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu (don't look now, it's not
there yet), but I hope that some enthusiast will provide a binary
precompiled version.  I can only guess how big the archive will get
because I have only build them as cross-development tools on linux-i386.
Yet, I would be suprised if the uncompressed archive would use up less
than 10 megs.

BTW, the GNU binutils currently contain the following programs/scripts:
addr2line, ar, c++filt, nm, objcopy, objdump, ranlib, ranlib.sh, size,
strings, strip, (g)as, gasp, gprof and ld.  Apart from that it contains
the libraries bfd, libiberty and opcodes plus the required header files.
The documentation in GNU info format is also large.

A related package:  In order to use the GNU binutils you (not only
programmers but also ordinary users) you will need an additional package
called "mintbin".  This package contains some extra documentation for the
binutils and replacements for all programs found in the old binutils
distribution for MiNT ("binutils<pl>s.zoo") and not contained in the
binutils.  In detail:  printstk, fixstk, toglclr/prgflags, cnm and csize.
The new tools will have new names (to avoid confusion), a hopefully
clearer user-interface and they will operate both on old-style files and
the binaries produced by the GNU binutils (they differ slightly but the
new format is 100 % backwards compatible, so don't worry).

The package is still under development.  It currently has about 250 kB as
.tar.gz.  A binary distribution will of course be bigger.

It would make much sense for me if we could find a location that keeps all
the current versions of the packages you need for program development
under MiNT, i. e. subdirectories in /pub/mint with the names "gcc",
"binutils", "lib", "gdb".  My own mintbin package would feel best in
subdirectory binutils.

My personal favorite would be funet.fi because it is widely known.  But I
would like to hear the maintainer's opinion first.  I personally often had
difficulties to connect to piwo in the past but this might have been just
bad luck.

The "luxury" solution would of course be "ftp.atari.org" as the base
server.  But I don't know if they have the required resources at
atari.org.

Other packages I plan to release:  The timezone database (see
ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tz*) adapted to MiNT to finally solve all
these timezone problems.  This would require a patch to the MiNTLib (I can
probably do that) and then we would have the zoneinfo mechanism as used on
BSD, DJGPP, GNU/Linux, HP-UX, IRIX, Solaris, and UnixWare.

The packages mentioned below are not really vital so I could upload them
just about everywhere.  Anyway, to satisfy Martin's curiosity ... ;-)

I have a binary distribution of the GNU internationalization aids
gettext-0.10.35 almost ready.  I hope that this will encourage
future porters of internationalized GNU packages to provide the localized
versions for FreeMiNT, too.

Finally from the department fun & games (and sec & crime) I have the
fortune package that you may know from Linux/FreeBSD/NetBSD adapted to
MiNT.  This also includes the programs caesar and rot13.  The programs are
actually small but the package contains a huge extensible database with
fortune sayings (several megs).  Patrick Volkerding plans to add another
database with Linux-fortunes (probably anti-Windoze) for the next
Slackware release.  I will wait until it's available because it's probably
fun for FreeMiNT users, too.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/
mailto:gufl0000@stud.uni-sb.de

Sometimes the best medicine is to stop taking something.