Re: [MiNT] standard UNAME replies

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Michael Schwingen wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 08:34:40AM +0200, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
> > > My own suggestions as replies:
> > >
> > > -m atari
>
> Since the machines are not made by Atari anymore, I would suggest something
> else - either 'atari'/'milan'/'hades'/'unknown' (depending on hardware), or
> something fixed that is not 'atari'. If this is used in figuring out what
> makefile/... to use, it should be a fixed string.
I think that having milan/hades etc is NOT wished.
After all, this discussion is about libs made for an OS.
Running applications in this OS shouldn't care about the precise hardware.
Would create more confusion than anything.
Only the OS, or special extension (such as videl, network card etc) make
the difference.
Now, a ls.ttp ported to MiNT should be dependant on the cpu type (if
optimization wished, don't care if the machine is a milan040 or a hades40)

hmm after reading myself, it is not very clear I think. I hope you guys
understand what I mean :) don't take it the wrong way :)

To me, it's like going too far into separating the diff configuration
possible.
Just like having a resolution, or screen type needed to port or compile a
program.

imagine: mint030-madeby_Clab_only-withfpu-vgaonly-16bit_snd-17_inches

I am exagerating, but I hope you understand better what I mean :)