Re: [MiNT] ERIC SMITH, PLEASE!!! ;-) uname reply - a final proposition

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Maurits van de Kamp wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
>
> > PS:  Atari Corp. is gone, so is the copyright on MiNT still an issue?
> >      Can't we just finally use the more generic "MiNT" instead of
> >      "Fresh/Free/Friggin/FryingMiNT" to identify our OS??
>
> According to Eric Smith, it IS still an issue. (When he reminded us about
> that on this list, Atari Corp was in exactly the same situation as it is
> now).

When was the last time _HE_ checked with Atari?

Hell, even JTS Corp is now gone, so who's gonna complain?

Either ways, Atari _licensed_ MiNT _from_ Eric, not the other way around.

Of course, if Eric refuses to see his product name associated with someone
else's coding efforts, that's entirely different issue....

Personnaly, I agree with whoever said that Linux is not gonna be called
FreeLinux or LinuxOS just because some people created variants of it.

The current kernel is backwards-compatible and the OS generally known
to the Atari community as MiNT.  Why not stick with that name?  IMHO,
calling it FreeMINT just adds to the confusion and sounds silly.

  Martin-Eric Racine * http://www.pp.fishpool.com/~q-funk/M-E/
  The Atari TT030 Homepage * http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/