Re: [MiNT] regex

On Fri, Mar 05, 1999 at 03:59:50PM +0200, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Jan Paul Schmidt wrote:
>
> > > rx (previously known as regex)
> >
> > Well, it is a completly new written regular expression library and not
> > just renamed. I think it would be wiser, to update the regular
> > expression stuff in the MiNTLib instead of providing a additional
> > library. That's what I did and as I can remember, Guido also patched his
> > MiNTLib version on this subject. Maybe this stuff will make it into the
> > MiNTLib, altough it is all GPL or LGPL. Every new libc has a decent
> > regular expression implementation.

No, I haven't changed the regex code.

> Except gerex is already a standard lib that several GNU things request
> when compiling.  I'm just wondering if we should integrate it into the
> MINTLIB (along with PORTLIB)?

I don't know enough about regex implementations but some people that
know more about the topic consider it to be a little unstable.  For
example Michael Elkins (the Mutt author) has moved back to regex.c
instead of rx.  Not sure though.

Anyway, regular expressions for the MiNTLib don't have top priority.
Most programs (like Mutt) include their own implementation because
interfaces are two different.  For other software (I recently had
to do that for BSD fortune) it is usually very easy to adapt the
code to the MiNTLib.  If we include more GPL stuff into the MiNTLib
some people will probably not be happy with that.

The only GNU extensions I would currently integrate into the MiNTLib
are basename and dirname because the standard files provided with
GNU packages don't accept a backslash as path separator.  I also
think that I will use a more recent obstacks version, the MiNTLib
version dates from 1988.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/
mailto:gufl0000@stud.uni-sb.de

This fortune is encrypted -- get your decoder rings ready!