Re: [MiNT] re Martin Eric racine, Guido Leavi

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:02:21 +0300 (EEST), Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> > > About the MinixFS problem: the latest version (pl9) work very well here.
> > > I use it on my main partitions without any problem.
> >
> > I know :) I use pl9 now :) works very well as far as I can tell.
> > Couldn't say the same about pl7 and pl8
>
> Have you tried copying multiple files accross partitions or filesystems
> such as, minix to minix, minix to vfat....  _That_ is where it chokes
> the kernel's cache.  Within one partition, no problem.  _NOT_ accross.
>
> Try this:
>
> cp -au /e/some/dir/with/500/files/or/more/*  /f/new/place/on/other/drive/
>
> and notice that the hard-drive light stays on while the cache (or Minix
> 0.70.9) pauses to catch its breath and analyze the next series of inodes
> to be written.  The drive is effectivley locked in mid-write, until the
> next batch of inodes is written.
>
> Jo Even also reported this, so I cannot be dreaming this, and he is
> on Falcon while I am on TT.

But AFAIK this is a problem that was already there in minix 0.6x (some long
time ago (about two years) I posted a message concerning this.
Everytime you have a _very_ big directory minixfs is awfully slow.
There was another bug included that caused damage when having a file
bigger than 64mb. Torsten fixed this bug long ago.

Greetings,
			Bernd