Re: [MiNT] filesystem problems

Hi!

On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 02:22:23PM +0300, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
> I cannot even _boot_ when memory protection is enabled, because the AES,
> Thing and INIT violate other applications' memory allocations (AFAIR).
> This is especially a problem with Thing because of AV_SERVER protocol.

Here, Thing (the official 1.27 as well) works flawlessly with memory
protection enabled. I have to admit, though, that Thing's AV
communication memory in 1.27 is only readable, not global (the mode for
Mxalloc() was wrong, ever since I took Thing over ...)

But most clients need it only readable, anyway. For clients that violate
the AV communication by using private memory (e.g. ST-Guide), it's
enough to set their program flags to "readable" in most cases, or, if
that doesn't help, to "global".

The current beta versions of Thing already contain the so-called "memory
violation catcher", i.e. a routine that checks the memory of the AV
client before blindlessly using it. You'll then see a nice alert instead
of Thing crashing, when a client is using private memory ...

Ciao

Thomas

--
Thomas Binder (Gryf @ IRCNet)  gryf@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de