Re: [MiNT] Proposition

On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 06:45:48PM +0000, kellis wrote:
> Am I dreaming or just beeing plain wrong?
> * this is a proposal to standardize mainly the GEM env. Such as browser,
> color_server, font protocol, email client, env for internet (stik/sting
> ones)
> Proxy servers are handled the same way as they always were.

Um - *you* made the proposition of having an env variable for the POP
server.

> * relog iff user? why would you to read your email?
> modern emailer first handle several mailboxes, also, the env set is the
> default one. which as you might not have understood correctly is easily
> from your desktop or a shell script resetable without reloging into
> another user. You relog as a diff user to really change a whole set of
> settings.

Why should I? Logging in as a different user will mean I get completely
different settings (desktop, applications etc.) - however, all that I want
are different dialup settings, but I am still the same user - I want to stay
the same user, but switch between dialup connections, each with their own
settings.

Is this such a rare case that noone except me needs this?

I see no use in a new standard if it does not handle common cases right.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen