Re: [MiNT] ext2fs

On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 08:11:45PM +0200, Frank Naumann wrote:
> > Once I know what port to use, there is no problem. However, how do I build
> > the list to let the user select a port?
>
> Why not through a special ioctl on /dev?

Does that exist yet? If not, then there is no point in complaining that
these programs use the cookie interface, since no alternative exists.

If yes: on what device shall I do the ioctl?

Blindly opening all devices in /dev to do an ioctl might not be a good idea:
think about raw devices that belong to some hardware that is offline, or
takes a long time - eg. multiple devices that belong to a CD changer.
Opening all these in turn just to find out that they are not serial ports
might take a *long* time.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen