RE: [MiNT] ext2fs

> > I don't know what RSVX does, but it has always caused me a lot of
> problems
> > so I stopped using it several years ago. Hacking mint.prg is much safer,
> the
> > only sideeffect I've noticed is that RSVF-aware programs most likely
> will
> > kill your ppp-session... (configuration, detection or something like
> that).
>
> Then this is no good.  Someone familiar with serial ports programming

---- RSVX does exactly the same thing, IIRC it does the following:

1. Copy the RSVF-cookie, call the new cookie RSVX.
2. Run it again after MiNT, rename RSVX back to RSVF.

This has the same effect as hacking MiNT to not skip RSVF when relocating
the cookie-jar, but RSVX must be doing something nasty somewhere because it
makes atleast my system unstable. Perhaps a memory-leak somewhere, I don't
know.

> will have to give us proper serial drivers that use the RSVF cookie,
> so apps can read it if needed and not kill other processes.

---- It's not about killing processes, the problem is that apps that use
RSVF directly doesn't care if other programs use the same port! MiNT
actually use RSVF if available (e.g. /dev/modem* will use RSVF if available
for that port), but using MiNT's devices instead of calling RSVF directly
will prevent conflicts. That's why the RSVF-cookie is killed in the first
place, *one* application that use RSVF directly has the potential to mess up
the port for any program that use the device properly.

MiNT's serial-devices are "proper", much more so than RSVF. The solution
must be to use the devices (MagiC has them too)  instead of calling RSVF
directly. ----

Jo Even Skarstein