mgetty/interruptable (was: Re: [MiNT] Compiling mgetty > 0.98)

In March there was a question on the MiNT list about compiling mgetty and
a problem with lock file names being mangled.

I just obtained the most recent 1.1.20 version and I still don't get any
problem with lockfiles. The only thing I had to adjust was the lock file
path in policy.h. Perhaps you could describe in more detail what happens?
Like what is reported in the log files?

However I do have another problem, which I also observed with previous
versions. That it is that waiting for rings or otherwise waiting for a
response from the modem, it never times out. This happens because the
alarm which causes the timeout does not interrupt the read. Last time in
version 1.1.12, I think it was, I worked around this, but I notice 1.1.20
has the problem again in a new place, so I will have to figure out a new
workaround.

How did you handle this?

The only way I have been able to fix it has involved significantly
modifying how the timeout is implemented, which is a nuisance. Does anyone
else have any ideas?

How hard is it to make read() under mint return when a signal is received?

| Mario Becroft                * Tariland, New Zealand Atari User Group |
| mb@tos.pl.net                * Atari Hardware Developments            |
| http://www.ak.planet.gen.nz/~mario/ * Atari Serial Mouse Interface    |