Re: [MiNT] Problems with recent MiNT beta versions

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Guido Flohr wrote:

> All smail images (smail, mqueue, sendmail, ...) crash with some settings
> of the TZ envariable.  They will crash with illegal settings,
> unfortunately they will also crash with legal settings that smail doesn't
> understand.  You should try to provide smail either no $TZ at all or very
> simple settings like "TZ=XYZ-12".

I already have the TZ variable set to the value of NZST-12, which is, it
seems, that same simple format. Do you think it would be beneficial to
remove it entirely? How would I know what timezone I'm in, or would I have
to set the clock to and specify all times with GMT?

Seeing as the problem doesn't occur with the earlier Freemint version
1.15.0, does it still seem reasonable that it is the TZ variable which is
the problem in the first place, considering that I have the variable set
the same way under both versions?

Using 1.15.0 I really notice the drastic speed decrease, and so it would
be excellent to be able to upgrade to a newer Freemint version again.
Certain operations, like expiring news, are very significantly faster with
the newer version - I have not timed it, but I suspect it is about 5 times
faster. So I am eager to solve this problem. Maybe I should try using
sendmail? I changed to smail since it was so much easier to understand,
but I will be using sendmail on some other machines soon anyway, so either
way I will have to learn how to use it. The question is whether sendmail
is a lot slower or using much more memory and/or disc space than smail,
because this is critical on my TT.

However even if smail or sendmail was operational, there still seems to be
a problem. I mentioned that I had problems with random freezes under the
newer versions with memory protection enabled, but it seems that the same
thing has happened again even with memory protection disabled. So unless
this was just an unusual incident, I may not be able to use the newer
versions anyway.

Has anyone else had problems like this?

Thanks for your suggestions.

| Mario Becroft                * Tariland, New Zealand Atari User Group |
| mb@tos.pl.net                * Atari Hardware Developments            |
| http://www.ak.planet.gen.nz/~mario/ * Atari Serial Mouse Interface    |