Re: [MiNT] Problems with recent MiNT beta versions

Hi Mario!

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 08:52:00PM +1200, Mario Becroft wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 1999, Guido Flohr wrote:
>
> > All smail images (smail, mqueue, sendmail, ...) crash with some settings
> > of the TZ envariable.  They will crash with illegal settings,
> > unfortunately they will also crash with legal settings that smail doesn't
> > understand.  You should try to provide smail either no $TZ at all or very
> > simple settings like "TZ=XYZ-12".
>
> I already have the TZ variable set to the value of NZST-12, which is, it
> seems, that same simple format. Do you think it would be beneficial to
> remove it entirely? How would I know what timezone I'm in, or would I have
> to set the clock to and specify all times with GMT?

For a test you may try to totally remove it from the environment.

> Seeing as the problem doesn't occur with the earlier Freemint version

Then it is not the problem I have thought of.  The problem I was talking
about has nothing to do with the OS.  The crash happens when smail parses
the TZ variable.  The lib that smail was linked against must have been
buggy.  The same crash would happen under plain TOS.

> 1.15.0, does it still seem reasonable that it is the TZ variable which is
> the problem in the first place, considering that I have the variable set
> the same way under both versions?

No, sorry, then it is probably not the TZ variable.

> Maybe I should try using
> sendmail? I changed to smail since it was so much easier to understand,
> but I will be using sendmail on some other machines soon anyway, so either
> way I will have to learn how to use it. The question is whether sendmail
> is a lot slower or using much more memory and/or disc space than smail,
> because this is critical on my TT.

Sendmail is a lot bigger and a lot slower (my personal experience) than
smail.  Qmail is usually considered a very fast, small, reliable and easy
configurable MTA but unfortunately it currently cannot run under MiNT
because MiNT lacks the fifos that qmail requires (save your time, don't
try to compile it with the MiNTLib fifo emulation, that's absolutely
unusable fake).  I would stick to smail although it would be nice if
somebody tried to port a more recent smail version to MiNT.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000