Re: [MiNT] Problems with recent MiNT beta versions

Hi!

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 03:40:35PM +0200, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> > Has anyone else had problems like this?
>
> random freezes - yes, I have them. Interesting is that during such freezes
> mouse pointer still moves and Clocky reacts. Just AES is freezed. Oh, and
> I can't switch to another (virtual) console, so perhaps taskswitching
> doesn't work? Either that or keyboard (at application level) is freezed
> again. But Clocky goes on, displays time and reacts on hotkeys. Strange...

I hope that Christian doesn't get mad at me for this ... ;-)
I had a lot of problems with random freezes when I tested early versions
of Christian's TosWin.  After I started pppd the freezes actually were
only a question of time.  I couldn't find the reason and that's why I
still use the stone-old TosWin that came with N.AES 1.0.

I repeat that that happened with very early versions (and I promise
to install Christian's TosWin - which is certainly an improvement - soon).
;-)

Another reason could be alert boxes.  It's more or less intuition, but I
often had the feeling that such a freeze occured in a situation where an
application wanted to display an alert box.  This intuition is mainly fed
by (Christian will hate me for the rest of my life) problems I had with
qed:  Being very impatient I often loaded source files into qed while gcc
was still compiling.  If qed then displayed it's "out of mem" alert it was
mostly impossible to OK the alert away.  But these times the mouse still
moved.  It was only not possible to get rid of the alert or to switch
tasks with CTRL-ALT-TAB.  I haven't had these problems for a long time but
I admit that I avoid any activity while gcc reigns over my system.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000