Re: [MiNT] MiNT and PureC

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 06:29:36PM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> > want to use Pure are then always a little behind but I think that's more
> > acceptable than the current situation.  Currently you download the MiNTLib
> > sources and when compiling for Pure you will have to read ChangeLog very
> > carefully to find out what there is possibly left to do.  It's also
> > dangerous because if for example you forget to add a new source file to
> > the project file resp. Makefile for Pure you will end up with a crippled
> > library.
>
> Actually this means to me that it should be the goal to release libraries
> which work PureC without habing to apply changes at all :-)

Christian Felsch is taking care of Pure support and we are in touch on a
regular basis.  However, experience shows that none of the releases I've
made compile out of the box with Pure.

But what should I do?  The MiNTLib consists of several hundred source
files.  I'm not the man to guarantee that all of these files are
"Pure-clean".  On the other hand I don't have the means to exchange large
files via e-mail and CVS is also not an option.

> BTW: it should be possible to maintain a unique makefile for both compilers,
> right?

Better not.  PureC needs other files.

> > Anyway, I'm not very happy with distributing source files that I cannot
> > test.  I'd rather exclude them.
> >
> > Any comments?
>
> I'd like to discuss what these differences actually are. If it's just a
> matter of adding proper function prototypes (which PureC requires), I would
> argue that it should be tried to release libraries which actually compile
> with GCC in pedantic mode. Except for the cases where assembly code is
> needed, this should take care of almost all problems.

This has nothing to do with the proto-discussion.  I will have a try with
the --pedantic option.  I also plan to provide a browsable source tree on
the WWW with more up-to-date snapshots.  This will maybe help to keep
things clean.

Anyway: OK, I surrender.  I will leave it inside.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000