RE: [MiNT] MiNTLib 0.52.3b

You can only rename mounted filesystems, not move them. But I can't see any
good reason why this can be done only at boot-time, u:\ is a filesystem too
so it's only natural that it support rename. TOS has been able to move
directories with Frename() since 1.04 (IIRC), if this was supported by U:
you could easily move mountpoints with the desktop if you want to...

I guess implementing this properly would take a lot of work though, although
I believe a crude scheme could be implemented rather quickly: Just keep a
table of all mountpoints, compare all paths to these and redirect (by simply
removing the "mountpoint-prefix") to the appropriate filesystem. I believe
the hack in older minixfs did something like this. I doubt that such a
scheme would be very stable or efficient though.

> > "True" unix-mounting (which is what fstab is used for) means dealing
> with
> > devices, something the user (or admin for that matter) never should have
> > worry about.
>
> One point of vue, which I don't share, but well.... ;-)

Well, if MiNT should use "proper" unix-mounting it means that it can't
automount anymore - it could only mount the boot-partition and then leave
everything else up to the user. Now tell that to someone who's just running
MiNT+N.AES and no fancy unix-stuff... Done your way it means running init, a
shell-interpreter and various boot-scripts, and for what?? The average
*user* (not hacker, and yes - there are quite a few MiNT-*users*) will just
find this complex, hostile and totally unnecessary.

Jo Even Skarstein