Re: [MiNT] MiNTLib 0.52.3b

> > Why?  If /bin and /usr/bin is on the same file system then it doesn't
> > matter, and on MiNT it doesn't matter anyway since you don't have to mount
> > the partitions explicitly.
>
> Some packages depend on that.

Also, separating the basic commands/system (/bin and /sbin) and
/etc from the rest of the hierarchy makes even more sense on Atari
than on other systems, as Atari users typically have smaller
drives/partitions.

I myself know several people why keep a "tiny" 20 MB partition
for the basic stuff (usually MinixFS) and symlink or mount the
rest from an external drive.

Of course, this would be even easier if mounting was introduced
at the kernel level, on MiNT.  The old MinixFs 0.60 hack that
allowed statically mounting drives is gone anyhow, but it needs
to be replaced by a real mount.

Linux has gone back to that "one small root partition, one larger
partition for everything else" while BSD adds "one partition per
home directory" (a bit extreme, imho, but I see the point), btw.

You could think of it in the same way as the old "one small boot
partition, plus several larger ones" of partitioning philosophy.

Last, but not least, the FHS standard we are trying to implement
freezes several of those key binaries (those in /bin and /sbin),
preceisely to ensure that traditionally expected locations won't
be moved.

FYI, KGMD follows the mid-90's hierarchy philosophy, which was:
"since we have access to larger drives and use it locally, why
not just stuff it all in /usr and symlink?" but it has been shown
as not so efficient, recently.

--
Martin-Eric Racine        http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/M-E/
The ATARI TT030 Homepage       http://funkyware.atari.org/TT030/