Re: [MiNT] MiNT random bug and question

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Thomas Binder wrote:

> Did it really freeze the machine, or did it just stop giving output
> after some lines?

It froze the machine. The machine would not respond to keypresses, mouse
clicks or pings from the network.

> If you just need "quite good" random numbers (which I guess as you
> considered using Random()), switch to using /dev/urandom. This one will
> never block, but return cryptographically weak random numbers once the
> pool's level of entropy has dropped so far that /dev/random would block.

That sounds like what I need. Thanks for pointing it out, I will try it.

(The reason for this is because I was going implement a random initial TCP
sequence number in MiNTNet (currently it based on the time of day and is
predictable).)

| Mario Becroft                * Tariland, New Zealand Atari User Group |
| mb@tos.pl.net                * Atari Hardware Developments            |
| http://www.ak.planet.gen.nz/~mario/ * Atari Serial Mouse Interface    |