[MiNT] MiNT-Net configuration files

Who reads resolv.conf anyway? Is it the socket-device, some tool or perhaps
socklib?

> SCO, DGUX, AIX, Solaris and Linux all use resolv.conf here. I
> don't think
> we can get away from it.

Neither do I, but an alternative would have been nice. If resolv.conf was
read by the socket-device it would be very easy to add an ioctl where you
can change domain and DNS. Indeed, everything you'll normally find in
various configuration-files in /etc should be configurable this way. Sockdev
should only fall back to the configuration-files when absolutely necessary.

However, I suspect that it really isn't that simple, so most likely we'll
have to live with these files.

> Jo-Even, I suggested that if your GEM dialer app, is to
> support multiple
> ISP configurations, then it needs to integrate well, into some

It will, this is one of the things I'm working on right now.

> standardisation of config-file locations, to be agreed soon.

Agree.

> I currently have in my /etc:
>
> 	resolv.conf.d/
> 	hosts.d/
> 	domainname.d/
> 	hostname.d/

Looks sensible to me. You could then move the original files into these
directories, symlink them back and let tools like Connexion change the links
as needed.

> with files below these dir.'s appropriately named to reflect
> the ISP. This

resolv.conf.ISPNAME, hosts.ISPNAME etc.? Sounds fine to me.

Btw. does anybody know if MiNT-Net will work if I put these files and the
tools on a VFAT-partition? I was thinking of making a simple IConnect-like
distribution when (if?) Connexion2 starts to shape up.

Jo Even Skarstein