Re: [MiNT] MiNT-Net configuration files

On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 04:51:47PM +0300, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> Speaking of this, it seems both Thing and the GNU utils have
> problems with filenames longer than 32 characters.  "Dir" works,
> but "rm" and "mv" (among others) refuse to see any files with
> longer names and auto-expansion in both Bash and Tcsh fails.
> This happens on Minix and Ext2 filesystems.

Right, I noticed this one, too (and yes, this really happens in daily use
when downloading files like

GimpUserManual-1.0.0-html.tar.bz2
netbsd-current-sys-19990702.tar.gz

> Btw, I seem to recall that our libs have a function to determin
> the maxium filename lenght?  As VFAT allows up to 64 characters
> and Minix 62 (in the default setting), could we standardize on
> 62 as our default, in general (unelss anybody can think of some
> other lenght that would be more appropriate)?

If there are filesystems supporting 64 (and I am quite sure ext2 can do even
more), then 62 is obviously a bad choice, since it may make files with
longer names unaccessible, so a reasonable default should be 'big enough'
for *all* filesystems.

If programs need more detail, there are functions to find out the limits on
a special filesystem (and IIRC, the kernel may report 'unlimited').

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen