Re: [MiNT] MiNT-Net configuration files

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Frank Naumann wrote:

> > GEMDOS (i.e. MiNT) handles filename truncation and conversion.
>
> But this is not a safe and clear way. If you have several
> files with similiar long names you have really a problem.

Speaking of this, it seems both Thing and the GNU utils have
problems with filenames longer than 32 characters.  "Dir" works,
but "rm" and "mv" (among others) refuse to see any files with
longer names and auto-expansion in both Bash and Tcsh fails.
This happens on Minix and Ext2 filesystems.

Btw, I seem to recall that our libs have a function to determin
the maxium filename lenght?  As VFAT allows up to 64 characters
and Minix 62 (in the default setting), could we standardize on
62 as our default, in general (unelss anybody can think of some
other lenght that would be more appropriate)?

Martin-Éric Racine            The Atari Stacy and TT030 Homepage
Lappeenranta, Finland          http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/
   "When the time comes, I will know and I shall be."  Q-Funk