[MiNT] MiNT cookie, MiNTLib and Ssystem (was: Security again)

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 02:18:19PM +0100, Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz wrote:
> Well, when memory protection is on, the whole kernel is protected. Except
> the Cookie Jar. And besides, ruining the cookie jar does not have
> immediate influence on all the running stuff, but obviously can create
> problems when starting new programs (even MiNT Lib uses the Jar to know if
> it is running on MiNT). We'll probably leave it as is until some genius
> comes and fixes that, as you said.

Thanks for the hint.  I will modify the startup code to evaluate the
return code of Ssystem instead of the possibly corrupted cookie jar to
find out whether MiNT is running and which version we deal with.

This will also allow for a finer granularity of the version information
inside the MiNTLib.  Frank, would it be possible to change the format of
the kernel's CHANGES file?  It currently looks like:

1.15.4 beta
1.15.3 beta
1.15.2 beta

I would prefer

1.15.4d
1.15.4c
1.15.4b
1.15.4a

This makes the MiNTLib's job to detect kernel features or to work around
certain bugs much easier.

Ciao

Guido
--