Re: [MiNT] Networking Machines via MINT

Hi Fred,

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 04:39:39PM -0500, Fred Horvat wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I'm new to Mint and still getting my feet wet or really just a toe at
> this point.  I've installed a couple of older Mint distributions and played
> around a little but they are very out of date like the TAF Internet
> distribution.  I want to know what networking functions are available via
> TCP/IP besides PPP to the Internet and Ethernet via a network card.  I have
> a TT030 that I'd like to network via TCP/IP to my Windows or BeOS systems
> somehow.  I do not have an Ethernet card for my TT030 nor do I see myself
> finding a cheap Ethernet card for the TT030.  I could by a Milan040 with a
> PCI Ethernet card than what I've seen new VME cards go for today.
>     Is it possible via the serial port (though terribly slow) or through the
> Apple Talk port somehow?  I know that I'd have to get out of the Dark Age
> with my Mint setup.  Possibly install the Mint Newbie and then start
> upgrading that to SpareMint.

I've just learned that the "Apple Talk" port is just the same as the
modem2 port.  You can somehow control if the signals are send/received via
modem2 or that port (on my machine it is labelled "LAN").  This is just to
prevent you from connecting it to an Apple...

Yes, you can do networking with a null-modem cable in the usual way.  You
can either set a getty on the serial port to allow for a remote login or
you can start pppd on that port.  Without a getty you can connect
immediately by starting pppd (or your dial-up network on the windows box),
if you leave the getty on the port than before starting the pppd you must
supply a login and a password like you are used to with your ISP.

I have never tried that out but it should work if you set the login shell
for that remote user to a shell script that starts the pppd on that port.
But password protection doesn't make much sense if you have physical
access to both machines and the cable between them.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/