Re: [MiNT] What's in, what's out?

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Jörg Westheide wrote:

> Hi Odd!
>
> OS>Do you really consider this true?
> Yes
>
> OS>Frank tries to bring MiNT closer to being Linux compatible. Frank has
> OS>done much more with the kernel than anyone before him.
> No one will doubt that, but that's not the point.

 Well, I do think it is a good point...

> This is a list for developers, a forum whee they can discuss about things
> related to the development.
> But what's the use of a such a forum if some developers do all the important
> discussion and decissions secretly by private mail?
> How, can you take part in this discussions if you do not belong to this "some
> developers"?
> And as we call ourself a community, shouldn't everyone be able to take part
> in this discussions?

 Yes, I believe that input is good, and that new ideas should be
discussed. But, since I joined this list, I have *NEVER* seen one
agreement being made. Ofcourse, its not nice to keep discussions about the
kernel/development private either.. as I said I'm not really a developer,
so I can't really comment on this. But in the case of the trapatch
routines, Frank posted to this list saying he would take it out. Ok, the
message was short, and he only said "Its not a clean way for a modern OS".
But, as the development coordinator, Frank can do this. I understand that
some ppl might feel offended by this, but if Frank had to wait for each
discussion to come to a closure, he wouldn't get anything done.. or at
least things would progress very slowly.

 Btw, what would TraPatch do for us? I haven't looked at it, and I have no
idea what it is...

> OS>If anyone isn't happy with this situation, why don't those just
> OS>include the stuff they want themselves
> This means forking a new kernel tree.
> Do have only a slight idea how much work and time it needs to maintain an own
> kernel?
> And do you really want to split the few developers into competitive projects?

 Yes, you're right. Forking the kernel development is absolutely not what
anybody wants. Hmm.. from a users point of view, I'm very happy with what
Frank is doing, and the direction he is taking the development. I can
understand that some are "put off" by the way he might turn down ideas
other come up with. But, to get things done, one needs a great leader with
knowledge of what he is doing and what direction he wants to lead us, and
IMO Frank is that person. MiNT is greater and has advanced more in Franks
time than ever before, and that is why I dare come with such a statement
;-)

 Regards,

 Odd Skancke - ozk@atari.org