Re: [MiNT] New kernel features

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 00:13:17 +0100, Guido Flohr wrote:

>If you have made it until here you must be really interested in MiNT.
>Maybe, now that this debate can be finished we can focus on a real
>problem: There is somebody out there who really contributed a whole lot
>of sweat and time to MiNT (I hope we agree on that) and can no longer
>participate in our efforts.  I am still thankful for all those kind help
>offers (both material and immaterial) that I received when I had
>hardware problems.  Isn't it possible that with common efforts we find a
>way to provide kellis with a working MiNT machine?  As far as I
>understood it, it is her mere Falcon that is dead.  There has to be some
>way to come over this.  I would personally miss her contributions a lot.
>
>Thank you for your patience.

Yes I made it to this point so yes I do care.  I'm compelled to say a few
things.  I don't care how development gets done as long as it gets done.
I see things posted here for discussion from time to time and no
real complaints until after it ends up in the kernal, or a beta
or whatever.  At least it seems this way.  I think for MiNT to progress
it needs to be easier to port linux software.  Even freinds I have
have dumped windozes for linux... and if you follow amiga at all it's
headed that way too.  A few observations I have made since I started
using MiNT:

This list is optional, you don't have to be here if you don't like
the way things are going. I can unsubscribe at any time.

If at some point the kernal does all that I need, well then
I just don't upgrade.  I take that version and go off and be happy that
I got it for free.

I get involved, like Guido pointed out, actually code something for
the kernal if I think I can make it better.

I can always use some other OS. Extreme example perhaps but an option
none the less.

I am very pleased that Guido and Frank have the spare time to do what
they do, and anyone else that helps in the kernal development area.
It is a shame that our platform is somewhat behind. I also feel that
if you have too little memory to run MiNT properly then it's your
bad luck.  Why hold back the entire platform?

I'm just a mere user so I may be completely wrong... but I feel better
haviing gotten this out.  ;-)

Atari Computer User: Lonny Pursell        E-Mail: atari@bright.net
WWW: http://www.bright.net/~atari/       IRC: lp @ #Atari @ IRCnet