Re: [MiNT] New kernel features

> If at some point the kernal does all that I need, well then
> I just don't upgrade.  I take that version and go off and be happy
that
> I got it for free.

Very good point! :-) I do feel it is important not to forget about the
4mb 68000 users, because one of the things that makes MiNT unique is
that it's the ONLY *nix that will run on such a machine, even with a
GUI if you're careful. However, it's not possible to keep on adding
new features that will work on those machines. Hard- and
softwaredevelopment go hand in hand.

So let's not forget that we already have kernel versions that work
really well on those machines. If we implement some new features,
nobody is forced to use them, just stick to an older kernel on your
ST. Of course, there is also other improvement ie bugfixes and small
but handy upgrades. That's why I think Conrad's idea of an 68k-only
kernel is a good one. Why not go on with developing MiNT taking >4MB
into account, and every once in a while when a lot of important things
were fixed, release a slimmed-down 68000 kernel?

The misunderstanding in this discussion, IMHO, is that releasing a new
kernel that's too big for the ST, means preventing ST users from using
MiNT at all. Adding new features will on the long run mean that the
kernel will not be usable for a 4MB ST, but PREVENTING that from
happening means that MiNT will never get up to the full potential that
TT's, Milans, Falcons with CT2 and of course Hadeses provide.We can
have it both ways. The kernel we currently have is stable and small.
ST users can keep on using this kernel until the next slimmed-down
version is released.

Is this a usable idea? :)

Maurits.