RE: [MiNT] expanded /proc vs new /kern

> > > Page 2.16 of the Compendium, the book you say tells all.
> > > Even shows an example how the names in \proc are derived.
>
> > I previously quoted that part and it says "_might_ have an entry
> > miniwin.003" which still doesn't explicit that it must be 8+3; it
> > only states filename without extension, plus an extension
> > consisting of the pid.
>
> That's right, nowhere does it explicitly say that the base of
> the filename is limited to 8 characters. The only thing that's
> explicitly documented is the length and format of the
> extension.

Exactly.

> This means that you could change /proc to support process names
> like "a_WEIRD-filename with odd_ÆØÅ[]characters.348" and it
> wouldn't contradict the docs.

Yep, except legal characters for filenames are documented
elsewhere in the Compendium. ;-)

Anyhow, this basically means that applications that parse /proc
to find the PID should only parse the last 3 characters of the
filename, which would keep it safe.

The question is, now that we found out that /proc is not limited
to 8 characters, how high do we set the limit on filename lenght?

Also, assides from the PS command, what else parses the /proc
filesystem?  How many things need to be recompiled?

Martin-Éric Racine            The Atari Stacy and TT030 Homepage
Lappeenranta, Finland          http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/
   "When the time comes, I will know and I shall be."  Q-Funk