Re: [MiNT] new ttyS names

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 02:34:30AM +0200, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> OK, call it an internal kernel variable, which is definitely
> something an XDD can read, after it becomes an integral part of
> the kernel, once it is loaded.
>
> LAN_MODE=[lan|serial]
>

> Since an internal kernel variable tells the driver which port to
> use, no application can control it, so there is no problem

Yes there is: suppose I want to use both ports (not at the same time
abviously, but without rebooting). Franks scheme handles this in a
transparent and logical way: just open the port you want to use and it
works.

Regarding the numbers: I think computer users are used to count thinbgs
starting at zero - eg. I guess noone suggests we should display SCSI IDs
starting at one, adding one to the physical IDs to reduce confusion to the
user?

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen