[MiNT] MINT.CNF (long)

Hello,

I have been trying to understand my MINT.CNF file. I have just
tried replacing Mint 1.15.1 Beta with 1.15.5 and had problems
booting.

The Milan locks-up just after the G:drive is set-up as a VFAT
device.

However, what puzzled me is that I seem to have a GEM= command
as well as an INIT= command, when the docs say I there can be
only one. If this is an error in my MINT.CNF, why has it always
worked ? Is this combination of commands doing something different
to normal ?

Also, I have never managed to get Summer Time working though I have
read the docs thoroughly.

Lastly, I have never managed to get the machine to work with MINT.PRG
the last thing in the AUTO folder. If it is, then the OS and many apps
do not work at all well. I currently have the following items running
after MINT.PRG:
  DRVIN.PRG    - HS Modem
  UART_2F8.PRG - HS Modem
  UART_3F8.PRG - HS Modem
  STING   .PRG - Sting ip stack
  MACCEL3 .PRG - mouse accelerator
  DMIRROR .PRG - Diamond Edge disk mirror
  ZCACHEON.PRG
  XSSINST .PRG - Bubbles screen saver

Best Regards,

Peter

# ====================================================================
# mint.cnf
# ====================================================================
#
# commands that are legal are:
# echo       -- print a message
# cd         -- change directory+drive
# sln        -- create a symbolic link
# ren        -- rename a file
# exec       -- execute a program
# setenv     -- set an environment variable
#
# variables that can be set are
# INIT       -- program to run at boot-up
# HARDSCROLL -- number of lines of hardware scrolling
#               for u:\dev\fasttext
# CON        -- default console device
# PRN        -- default printer device
# BIOSBUF=NO -- disables buffering of output; this
#               may be needed with a few programs
#
# lines that start with '#' are comments

#INIT=file
#GEM=file
#Specifies the command you want the FreeMiNT to run at boot up
#time. The 'file' should be a full path name (the default is the
#software available with no pathname, i.e. the GEM in ROM). Both
#INIT= and GEM= specify an initial program to run, but the way the
#program is launched is different depending on whether you say
#'GEM=' or 'INIT='. With the former ('GEM='), the application is
#launched via the exec_os vector (see the Hitchiker's Guide to the
#Bios). With the latter form, the application is launched directly
#via Pexec().
#Only one 'GEM=' or 'INIT=' line is permitted in the MINT.CNF file.

GEM=c:\n_aes\m_aes.sys
INIT=c:\multitos\starter.prg c:\n_aes\m_aes.sys

# BIOSBUF={yes|no}   default: yes
#  controls  how BIOS I/O is performed. Normally, MiNT tries to buffer this
#  to provide a (considerable) improvement  in  speed.  However, some
#  applications may get upset by this. BIOSBUF=no turns off all buffering
#  for maximum compatibility.
BIOSBUF=YES

# MAXMEM= gives the maximum amount of memory that any process may use
# (in kilobytes). The default is to make this unlimited, but if you have
# a lot of memory and/or programs that grab more memory than they should,
# try setting this.
# e.g. to limit processes memory, remove the '#' at the
# beginning of the next line.
#MAXMEM=8000

# SLICES={1...???) default=2
#  Controls  how  long  a process  may  run  before  being interrupted. The
#  default value (2) is usually best, but if you tend to run very processor
#  intensive applications in the foreground, you might want to put SLICES=3
#  (this makes cpu hogs get more time than they otherwise would).
#  The  higher the  SLICES value, your processes have faster response time
#  but the general performance is worse.
#
SLICES=2

# SECURELEVEL={0|1|2}   default: 0
#  enables the appropriate security level:
#  0 - recommended for single user setups, like MultiTOS.
#  1 - recommended for multiuser setups, like KGMD.
#  2 - full protection, unsupported by software, thus discouraged.
#
SECURELEVEL=0

# New Mint Filesystem with FreeMint 1.15
NEWFATFS=G
VFAT=G

#
# The Serial Port bekommen ordentliche Name.
#

# ren u:\dev\modem1  u:\dev\ttya
# ren u:\dev\modem2  u:\dev\ttyb
# ren u:\dev\serial1 u:\dev\ttyc
# ren u:\dev\serial2 u:\dev\ttyd
# ren u:\dev\midi    u:\dev\ttye

# Fuer CoNnect <= 2.46 auf dem FALCON kann die Modemschnittstelle
# ueber die Environmentvariable gesteuert werden.
# setenv MODEMDEV u:\dev\ttya

# Fuer CoNnect <= 2.46 auf dem TT und anderen Rechnern
# muessen die Schnittstellen unter dem Originalnamen
# vorhanden sein.

# sln u:\dev\ttya u:\dev\modem1
# sln u:\dev\ttyb u:\dev\modem2

#
# Disk drive B: verstecken
#

#ren u:\b u:\.b

#
# Symbolic Links auf disk drive u: set.
#

# sln e:\usr\bin  u:\bin
# sln e:\etc      u:\etc
sln c:\home     u:\home
# sln e:\usr      u:\usr
sln c:\tmp      u:\tmp
# sln e:\var      u:\var
sln c:\n_aes    u:\n_aes
sln c:\multitos u:\m_tos

#
# Fuer Miniwin & wlogin
#
#sln U:\pipe\pty.A u:\dev\pty.A
#sln U:\pipe\pty.B u:\dev\pty.B
#sln U:\pipe\pty.C u:\dev\pty.C
#sln U:\pipe\pty.D u:\dev\pty.D
#sln U:\pipe\pty.E u:\dev\pty.E
#sln U:\pipe\pty.F u:\dev\pty.F
#sln U:\pipe\pty.G u:\dev\pty.G
#sln U:\pipe\pty.H u:\dev\pty.H
#sln U:\pipe\pty.I u:\dev\pty.I
#sln U:\pipe\pty.J u:\dev\pty.J
#sln U:\pipe\pty.K u:\dev\pty.K

#
# ram.xfs: Ramdisk soll disk drive P werden.
alias P: u:\ram

# These Variable with Slashes ausgeben.

setenv PCONVERT PATH,HOME,SHELL

setenv UNIXMODE /brUs

# Ein einfacher Default path
#setenv PATH /bin;/usr/etc;/usr/bin;/usr/local/bin;/m_tos;/n_aes
setenv PATH /m_tos;/n_aes

# Wenn /home vorhanden dann n_aes.cnf lieber von dort laden
# und AESDIR in n_aes.cnf setzen.
# If /home exists then n_aes.cnf rather loads from there.
# and AESDIR to n_aes.cnf set.
#
setenv HOME u:\home
setenv AESDIR u:\n_aes
#setenv BROWSER u:\d\cab2_7\cab.app
setenv BUBBLESPATH u:\c\bubbles\avbubble.app
setenv TMP u:\tmp
setenv TEMP u:\tmp
setenv TMPDIR u:\tmp
setenv TERM atari

#setenv TERMCAP u:\etc\termcap
#setenv EMACSCMD u:\etc
#setenv PUREC e:\pure_c

#-----------------------------------------------------
# Ghostscript 3.53
setenv GS_FONTPATH d:\textutil\gemgs\fonts
setenv GS_HELPDIR  d:\textutil\gemgshelp
setenv GS_LIB      d:\textutil\gemgs;d:\textutil\gemgs\ps;d:\textutil\gemgs\help;d:\textutil\gemgs\fonts
setenv GS_DEVICE stvdi
setenv GS_DEVICE bj10e

#setenv GNULIB /usr/local/lib
#setenv CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH /usr/local/include
#setenv GNULIB /usr/lib
#setenv GNUINC /usr/include
setenv HOSTTYPE atari
setenv VENDOR atari
setenv OSTYPE mint
setenv MACHTYPE m68k

# Default shell
#setenv SHELL /bin/tcsh

# Fuer dumme Programme, die nicht gethostname() callen.
#setenv HOSTNAME Milan

# Our Time zone. With it must the Clock localtime run.
#  Summer Time is by default 1 hour ahead.
#  Summer Time format here is MM.WW.D
#  BST starts March.   last week. Sunday
#    and ends October. last week. Sunday

setenv TZ GMT-0BST,3.5.0,10,5,0
setenv MINT_CLOCKMODE "local"

# Make the timezone known to the kernel
exec c:\multitos\tzinit.prg

#cd u:\
exec c:\multitos\fpu__2M.prg
#exec c:\multitos\fpu__3.prg
#exec c:\multitos\speedup.prg c:\multitos\speedup.inf
exec c:\multitos\su_030.prg c:\multitos\speedup.inf