Re: [MiNT] New MiNT distribution is n.. ..pro

Hi Martin-Éric_Racine, on 20 Feb 00 you said:

 > (En passant, Rémi, tes dates sont en année 00, plutot que 2000)

(Elles sont correctes dans l'entête du message, c'est tout ce qui importe. Le
reste vient des limitations de LED...)

 >> We can't stay stuck to the 680x0 forever.

 > Please explain what you find so limiting on m68k processors.

Jo-Even already summarize all my thoughts: Speed! I don't think that the m68k
are limited but they need a little more speed. I'm the proud owner of an Hades
060, I wouldn't exchange it for a hundred of any other computer...
Nevertheless, I found it too slow sometimes, especially when I do what MiNT is
supposed to allow us to do: multitasking, i.e. use several programs at the same
time. When I use GEM programs that do nothing but wait for me to use the mouse
or the keyboard, the speed isn't an issue but if any of the programs starts to
manipulate files, the speed drops and I can't even type at my full speed in
Qed. Maybe this is only due to the lack of real DMA on Hades. Anyway, I'd like
more speed in Calamus, in CAB, in PoV, in Photoline, etc. And 20 more MHz ain't
just enough...

Beside this, Motorola doesn't support the m68k range any more. They make chips
for those who want some but they don't develop any more. We'll never see even a
100 MHz 68060. They concentrate on the ColdFire and the PPC.

 > If you really expect people to change architecture (even if a 68k
 > emulator is included), you must give them some real-life reasons
 > to do so, not a circular argument about Coldfire versus G4 like
 > Rodolphe did on fr.comp.sys.atari.

What's "circular" in what I said? I proposed an alternative with two choises:
The ColdFire (which I find "crippled" because not so compatible with the m68k,
neither very fast at the moment) and the PPC (which is fast and well supported
by Motorola). I don't care about Rodolphe, the PPC was the best choice at the
moment I wrote. If the ColdFire becomes faster and more compatible, it will
then become the best choice. That's _even_ what I'd prefer!

    [---SNIP---]
 > A technological argument means absolutely zippo, when the whole
 > point is to make something for real-life users who want to surf,
    [---SNIP---]

Let's talk about surfing... Did you never dream that CAB calculates the pages
and decompress the JPEGs twice faster? Optimisation reaches its limits very
fast when dealing with complex things. And if we want to have Javascript too,
optimisation won't do miracles, the program will have to become bigger and to
do some more things on a machine which doesn't accelerate. The final result
will be definitively slow without a real increase in speed.

And the 20 MHz of the Milan don't impress me. The benches they proudly display
on the web site are only a few % higher than the benches of my Hades at 60 MHz,
and even not all results. So...

See you later,

Remi Villatel
E-mail: maxilys@normandnet.fr