Re: [MiNT] New MiNT distribution is n.. ..pro

Johan Klockars <rand@cd.chalmers.se> writes:

> > The best way we can go, IMHO, is to "open" our MiNT system in order to use
> > the Linux GPL drivers recompiled in 680x0 code. That will solve the problem
> > of the support of any new piece of hardware (at least partially, because
>
> Unfortunately, Linux is often not a top priority for PCI card manufacturers.
> My current graphics card (a GeForce) is the first one (out of three) I've
> had for my PC that actually got usable Linux drivers before I upgraded, and
> not very many cards support 3D acceleration under Linux.
> My year and a half old soundcard only recently got Linux support...

Still, Linux has a lot better support than MiNT, and Linux and/or *BSD are
really the only viable options for gaining portable drivers without
having to write them yourself from specs or reverse-eng from compiled code.

Linux is also gaining a bit on that market, so maybe it will get better in time :)

/Stefan