Re: [MiNT] timezone change

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 02:18:31PM +0300, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> Just wondering how many people went through the change to summer
> time smoothly on this list.
>
> Here, cron executed its activities 1 hour earlier that scheduled,
> but the system did not change its clock last night.  MINT.CNF has
>
> setenv MINT_CLOCKMODE local
> setenv TZ EET-2EEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0
>
> as its timezone setting (this is what I found in the database for
> Europe/Helsinki, AFAIK).

You should not use localtime, things go much better in UTC.  You should
also not set TZ if you have the timezone database installed.

Anyway, even in UTC, you have to reboot or run tzinit again to inform the
kernel about the timezone change.  Alternatively one could write a cron
job that automatically calls tzinit at the time change but that script
would have to deal with all kinds of race conditions

The reboot wouldn't be necessary if we didn't have to provide the
compatibility functions that deal with local time (because then the kernel
simple wouldn't need to know about the timezone).

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/