[MiNT] Help with MINT.CNF

Hi,

Back in January I tried version 1.15.5 of Mint but had major
problems booting.

The Milan locks-up just after the G:drive is set-up as a VFAT
device.

I spent a lot of time looking at my MINT.CNF thinking I have
a problem. What puzzled me is that I seem to have a GEM= command
as well as an INIT= command, when the docs say I there can be
only one. If this is an error in my MINT.CNF, why has it always
worked ? Is this combination of commands doing something different
to normal ?

More importantly does anyone know why this version of Mint
will not boot on my Milan?

Regards,

Peter

======== MINT.CNF ===========

GEM=c:\n_aes\m_aes.sys
INIT=c:\multitos\starter.prg c:\n_aes\m_aes.sys

# BIOSBUF={yes|no}   default: yes
#  controls  how BIOS I/O is performed. Normally, MiNT tries to buffer this
#  to provide a (considerable) improvement  in  speed.  However, some
#  applications may get upset by this. BIOSBUF=no turns off all buffering
#  for maximum compatibility.
BIOSBUF=YES

# MAXMEM= gives the maximum amount of memory that any process may use
# (in kilobytes). The default is to make this unlimited, but if you have
# a lot of memory and/or programs that grab more memory than they should,
# try setting this.
# e.g. to limit processes memory, remove the '#' at the
# beginning of the next line.
#MAXMEM=8000

# SLICES={1...???) default=2
#  Controls  how  long  a process  may  run  before  being interrupted. The
#  default value (2) is usually best, but if you tend to run very processor
#  intensive applications in the foreground, you might want to put SLICES=3
#  (this makes cpu hogs get more time than they otherwise would).
#  The  higher the  SLICES value, your processes have faster response time
#  but the general performance is worse.
#
SLICES=2

# SECURELEVEL={0|1|2}   default: 0
#  enables the appropriate security level:
#  0 - recommended for single user setups, like MultiTOS.
#  1 - recommended for multiuser setups, like KGMD.
#  2 - full protection, unsupported by software, thus discouraged.
#
SECURELEVEL=0

# New Mint Filesystem with FreeMint 1.15
NEWFATFS=G,O
VFAT=G,O

# With "ren" command you can rename files on "volatile" filesystems
# like for example u:\dev is.
#
# The Serial Port bekommen ordentliche Name.
#

# ren u:\dev\modem1  u:\dev\ttya
# ren u:\dev\modem2  u:\dev\ttyb
# ren u:\dev\serial1 u:\dev\ttyc
# ren u:\dev\serial2 u:\dev\ttyd
# ren u:\dev\midi    u:\dev\ttye

# The "sln" command may be used to create "links" on drive U:. If
# u:\foo is a link to c:\bar, then u:\foo\foo.txt is another way
# of saying c:\bar\foo.txt. Judicious use of links can make
# re-arranging hard disks and directories painless (if you always
# use the names on drive u:, it doesn't matter where you put
# the actual directories).

# Fuer CoNnect <= 2.46 auf dem FALCON kann die Modemschnittstelle
# ueber die Environmentvariable gesteuert werden.
# setenv MODEMDEV u:\dev\ttya

# Fuer CoNnect <= 2.46 auf dem TT und anderen Rechnern
# muessen die Schnittstellen unter dem Originalnamen
# vorhanden sein.

# sln u:\dev\ttya u:\dev\modem1
# sln u:\dev\ttyb u:\dev\modem2

#
# Disk drive B: verstecken
#

#ren u:\b u:\.b

#
# Symbolic Links auf disk drive u: set.
#

sln c:\home     u:\home
sln c:\tmp      u:\tmp
sln c:\n_aes    u:\n_aes
sln c:\multitos u:\m_tos

#
# These links are always the same, regardless of the setup
# Fuer Miniwin & wlogin
#
#sln U:\pipe\pty.A u:\dev\pty.A
#sln U:\pipe\pty.B u:\dev\pty.B
#sln U:\pipe\pty.C u:\dev\pty.C
#sln U:\pipe\pty.D u:\dev\pty.D
#sln U:\pipe\pty.E u:\dev\pty.E
#sln U:\pipe\pty.F u:\dev\pty.F
#sln U:\pipe\pty.G u:\dev\pty.G
#sln U:\pipe\pty.H u:\dev\pty.H
#sln U:\pipe\pty.I u:\dev\pty.I
#sln U:\pipe\pty.J u:\dev\pty.J
#sln U:\pipe\pty.K u:\dev\pty.K

#
# ram.xfs: Ramdisk soll disk drive P werden.
alias P: u:\ram

# Now setting the environment. These you can leave as they are.
# These Variable with Slashes ausgeben.

setenv PCONVERT PATH,HOME,SHELL
setenv UNIXMODE /brUs

# Ein einfacher Default path
setenv PATH /m_tos;/n_aes

# If /home exists then n_aes.cnf rather loads from there.
# and AESDIR to n_aes.cnf set.
#
setenv HOME u:\home
setenv AESDIR u:\n_aes

setenv BUBBLESPATH u:\c\bubbles\avbubble.app
setenv TMP u:\tmp
setenv TEMP u:\tmp
setenv TMPDIR u:\tmp
setenv TERM atari

#-----------------------------------------------------
# Ghostscript 3.53
setenv GS_FONTPATH d:\textutil\gemgs\fonts
setenv GS_HELPDIR  d:\textutil\gemgshelp
setenv GS_LIB      d:\textutil\gemgs;d:\textutil\gemgs\ps;d:\textutil\gemgs\help;d:\textutil\gemgs\fonts
setenv GS_DEVICE stvdi
setenv GS_DEVICE bj10e

setenv HOSTTYPE atari
setenv VENDOR atari
setenv OSTYPE mint
setenv MACHTYPE m68k

# Fuer dumme Programme, die nicht gethostname() callen.
#setenv HOSTNAME Milan

# Our Time zone. With it must the Clock localtime run.
#  Summer Time is by default 1 hour ahead.
#  Summer Time format here is MM.WW.D
#  BST starts March.   last week. Sunday
#    and ends October. last week. Sunday

setenv TZ GMT-0BST,3.5.0,10.5.0
setenv MINT_CLOCKMODE "local"

# Make the timezone known to the kernel
exec c:\multitos\tzinit.prg

#cd u:\
exec c:\multitos\fpu__2M.prg
exec c:\multitos\su_030.prg c:\multitos\speedup.inf
| Milan040, CD-ROM, UMAX 1220S, Canon BJC-2000, 33600 Modem            |
| Mint, N.AES, Thing, MultiStrip, Olga, Bubbles...                     |
| Papyrus, Texel, CAB, Newsie, STiNG, ArtWorx, PhotoLine, ImageCopy... |
|  I live in Great Britain, abbreviated to G.B.                        |
|  uk is a noise made by apes.                                         |