Re: [MiNT] GCC 2.95.2

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 04:29:15PM +0200, Tomas Berndtsson wrote:
> Frank Naumann <fnaumann@freemint.de> writes:
>
> > > However, I tried to compile MiNTLib 0.55.2, and all I get with
> > > binaries linked with it is Bus Error. Running them in oTOSis, it says
> > > "virtual memory exhausted". So, I'm still using MiNTLib 0.53.
> >
> > New MiNTLib strictly require new gcc 2.95.2.
>
> Yes, I know, and I did use 2.95.2 (the cross compiler) for it. And it
> didn't give any errors compiling it, or linking any binaries with
> it. I didn't check all warnings though.

The bus errors smell like a libgcc problem.  Frank and I had to decide on
certain things concerning libgcc (mainly arbitrary, what goes into libgcc,
what goes into the libc) and if your configuration differs you will either
get linker errors (missing symbols) or the binaries will crash.

I thought I could send you only the various libgcc.a files.  The compiler
headers (limits.h, stddef.h, stdarg.h, varargs.h, ...) can probably be
copied over unmodified from your Linux installation.  But you will still
have a compatibility problems because your gcc version most probably
assumes long double to be the same as double, whereas the new MiNTLib (and
Frank's gcc) assume them to be 96 bits (IEEE854 format).

That means that you will have to recompile both your gcc and your MiNTLib.
Sorry for the inconvenience but the main reason why Frank and I have
changed these things was to avoid such problems in the future.  Bad
timing, sorry.

BTW, what were your experiences with cross-compiling the MiNTLib?  Is the
preparation for cross-compilation sufficient?  I really tried to make
things easy and I'm interested in a little feedback.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/