[MiNT] MiNTLib 2000

Hi,

sorry, did I say 2000?  I really meant MiNTLib 0.55.2. ;-)

OK, a new (hopefully stable) MiNTLib release is available.  I actually
wanted to wait with this announcement until all necessary tools and
updates are available as RPMs on Sparemint but ...

The sources are available from the Sparemint servers if you follow the
link for "MiNTLib" (or cd into misc/code/mintlib).

A word of warning first: Only install and use this MiNTLib if you have a
gcc 2.95.2 with Frank's latest patches.  If you download gcc as an rpm
from Sparemint, this version is alright.  You will find this warning at
various other places, too, but it is really important.

If you have a fast machine and lots of diskspace you could do me a favor:
Please type "make bin-dist" (don't forget the hyphen!) after a successful
"make" (preferably with an umodified "configvars").  This will put a
binary distribution into a big tarball that you can upload to ftp servers
for non-rpm users (or people without MiNT).  Maybe, if you do so, you can
announce that here.  It is sufficient to do this once.

For a list of new features I include the file "NEWS" here.  Have fun!

Version 0.55.2 - 10 April 2000

* Added forgotten include/bits/mint_stdio.h.

Version 0.55.1 - 09 April 2000

* Minor bugfixes.

* libc-symbols.h not installed any more.

* Missing functions added: llabs, strtoimax, strtoumax.

* argz functionality.

Version 0.55 - 02 April 2000

* Countless bugfixes.

* This version of the MiNTLib requires gcc 2.95.2, older gcc versions
  will not work, you can neither compile nor use the MiNTLib without
  them.  See README.1st for details.

* Introduction of a new stdio model, mostly taken from the GNU libc.
  The new stdio API is incompatible with previous releases.  See
  README.stdio to check if you have to recompile your binaries
  The new stdio model provides a lot of new features, see bits/mint_stdio.h
  for details.

* The data type long double has changed.  It now complies with
  IEEE854, which will require recompilation of libraries or object
  files that do long double arithmetics.  Accuracy problems with other
  floating  point types have been solved.

* The source tree has been completely restructured.

* The MiNTLib now comes along with an exhaustive test suite.  Run
  "make -k check" in the compiled source tree to see the results.
  See README.tests for details.

* UFC (ultra-fast crypt) and support for MD5-crypt.  The new crypt()
  resp. fcrypt() routines outperform previous MiNTLib releases
  by factor 5 here.

* Incompatible change in select(): The function now internally calls
  poll().  The data type fd_set has changed and now has a theoratical
  limit of 1024 file descriptors.  Until the kernel gets changed you're
  still stuck with 32 descriptors though.  However, object files or
  libraries that reference select() have to get recompiled.

* This is the last MiNTLib that builds 16 bit integer libraries by
  default.  See README.mshort for details.

  In previous (unofficial) releases:

* The former portlib and the socketlib from the MiNTNet package have
  been integrated into the MiNTLib.

* The format of struct stat in <sys/stat.h> has changed in an
  incompatible way -> recompile.

* Shadow password and group database.

* New management functions for utmp/wtmp.

* The library is now installed in /usr instead of /usr/local by
  default.

--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/
Send your spam to president@whitehouse.gov and your replies to