Re: [MiNT] mint web/apache idea

For what it's worth ...

HTML has been defined in a "fault tolerant" manner that makes
a properly-written site backward compatible all the way back to
the "Lynx" browsers (not the "Lynx" handheld by Atari).

The problem is not with the browser, but with the nonstandard
web sites that fail to adhere to the concepts of hypertext and/or
the standards set by the W3C (<http://www.w3c.org>, I think).

When I encounter a malfunctioning site of interest to me, I usually
send a short, polite letter to postmaster@domain.ext asking when
they will upgrade their site to the W3C standard.  If enough people
did this, the sites would be fixed to work as the hypertext concept
was originally intended.

This is not just an Atari problem ... the new breed of Internet Appliances
and Cellular Phones do not support JavaScript and Java at all, and
WebTV supports it's own subset of HTML/CSS that requires skill on
the part of the webmaster to create a site that works well on that
service.

If enough people start sending email messages to problem web sites
asking them to upgrade to the W3C specification, word will get through
to the decision-makers that ignoring the standards causes problems in
reaching their intended audience.

My two cents, anyway.

George Crissman
strads@tmisnet.com