Re: [MiNT] MiNT lib 55

Hi,

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 05:17:52PM +0200, Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> > memory management.  I don't think that an 030 kernel is a lot faster than
> > a plain 68000 kernel.
>
> It is. The 030 interrupt routines don't bother continuous checking the
> longframe flag all the time (the 68000 kernel does), so 68030 kernel is
> really something faster.

Some time ago I have done some crude benchmarking to compare a 68000
kernel with a 68030 kernel.  There was no measurable difference in
performance, maybe that has changed now.  My benchmarking method was a gcc
run which took about 10 minutes and there was no corelation between the
kernel optimization and the time spent to do the compilation.

> > P.S.: In a previous posting you have mentioned that you compile your
> > kernel yourself because you prefer to optimize with -O3.  That can be an
> > explanation for the astonishing amount of unreproducable bugs you
> > report.  Exaggerating optimization is a common source of errors,
> > especially in "sensitive" software like the kernel.
> >

> AFAIK the -O3 only differs with -finline-functions from -O2.

That's what gcc.info says.  But inlining can also cause errors.  Besides,
a lot of kernel functions are already explicitely inlined.  There can't be
that much left for gcc to inline on its own behalf.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://www.stud.uni-saarland.de/