Re: [MiNT] MiNT lib 55

On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 04:38:14PM +0300, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:

> > Correct.  Yet, the FPU detection was buggy IMHO.
>
> Since most pacakges appear to be compiled using that -m68020-60
> option, (including the 030 kernel and the RPM binary), it might
> be a good idea to specify that SpareMiNT has a "68020 + FPU"
> minimal base, on the SpareMiNT homepage.

The 030 kernel is really compiled with -m68020-60.  The name sort of
suggests it.  The main benefit from the 030 kernel is however not improved
performance but the extended instruction set which is needed for the
memory management.  I don't think that an 030 kernel is a lot faster than
a plain 68000 kernel.

The RPM binary is only by accident compiled with -m68020-60 and the
default flags for Sparemint packages are "-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer".

Apart from that I don't know a lot of software that is compiled for
>mc68000.

> > I doubt that you will gain a lot by only giving -m68020-60.
> > The big difference in performance is between FPU and non-FPU
> > code.
>
> Interresting.  People _do_ change. ;-)

Does that mean that you have decided to become the darling of this list
and be a nice guy with everybody?

Ciao

Guido

P.S.: In a previous posting you have mentioned that you compile your
kernel yourself because you prefer to optimize with -O3.  That can be an
explanation for the astonishing amount of unreproducable bugs you
report.  Exaggerating optimization is a common source of errors,
especially in "sensitive" software like the kernel.

You should always keep a kernel compiled with the default flags and test
if it shows the same behavior as your self-built kernel.
--
http://www.stud.uni-saarland.de/
Send your spam to president@whitehouse.gov and your replies to