Re: [MiNT] MiNT and MetaDOS

On Tue, 2 May 2000 08:54:54 +0300, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:

> Great idea, except that:
>
> a) kernels since 1.15.6b are unstable here, 1.15.7b being the
>    worst kernel I've tested so far.

I've had problems with 1.15.7 too, but it's not unstable, it just
acts weird when it comes to using the serial-ports. I'll try with
OZK's scc.xdd when I get home from work today.

1.15.6 is 100% stable here.

> c) FATFS does not cooprate well with too many applications; its
>    incompatibility with TOSFS often creates problems; too many

Sorry QF, but this is simply not true. Please mention just one single
program that knows the difference between FATFS and TOSFS (except for
disk-editors and such.). If there indeed are problems, then I'd
suspect that there are bugs in the old GEMDOS-interface, fix those
instead (if the ones having problems can come up with any bug-reports
instead of just saying that it doesn't work) of falling back to TOSFS.

>    applications cannot find their RSC or open files on a FATFS,
>    but can on TOSFS.

This can only be caused by bugs in the AES (you're not using Atari's
old AES 4.1 are you?) or bugs in the old GEMDOS-interface in MiNT. This
is no reason to keep TOSFS.

> Because of this, TOSFS and SPIN! 0.34 are still needed.

No. If you use Spin! you don't need TOSFS, since Spin! is a XFS and
naturally don't need to hook into GEMDOS.

/*
**
*/