Re: [MiNT] MiNT and MetaDOS

On 2000-5-1, Frank Naumann <fnaumann@freemint.de> wrote:

> If you like to use things like Betados or Metados you have to
> live with the TOSFS forever.  You [should] update Spin to the
> current beta if this possible.

Great idea, except that:

a) kernels since 1.15.6b are unstable here, 1.15.7b being the
   worst kernel I've tested so far.

   (yes, even 1.15.6 is unstable - I currently use my own 1.15.5
   compiled _with_ the shutdown workaround enabled, instead)

b) Julian's new beta does not implement audio CD

   (putting everything inside the XFS _is_ a good idea, though -
   relying upon MetaDOS was not so great, IMHO)

c) FATFS does not cooprate well with too many applications; its
   incompatibility with TOSFS often creates problems; too many
   applications cannot find their RSC or open files on a FATFS,
   but can on TOSFS.

Because of this, TOSFS and SPIN! 0.34 are still needed.

--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS