Re: [MiNT] Net 1.04 and MINTLIB 0.55

> Andreas Dahlberg wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 19 May 2000, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> >
> > > I tried recompiling some XDD/XIF from that package, but it seems
> > > that the new MINTLIB successfull building.
                          ^_ prevents

> > Why do you have to recompile everything?

a) because it has been recommended several times that people
   should build their own binaries.

b) because I'm building a distribution and need to ensure that
   every package _can_ be recompiled by the end-user, should
   they need or want to.

c) because many key packages I use have patches that never made
   it into the official archives but which are needed for proper
   operation.

   (e.g. my Riebl patches; Torsten received a copy, agreed that
   they might solve some things, but he is not in a situation
   where he can test them nor continue MiNT-Net development now)

On 2000-5-22, josephus <catbird@airmail.net> wrote:

> Martin isn't the only one who often compiles everything.  I do
> Usually because 030 and 040 don't run on my poor little mega4 with
> rainbow tos.  My system is too small to run the newer GCC versions.
> If that is not true,  then why can I not run GCC1.4.1, gcc2.7.3, or
> even port it with LATTICE?

Because almost everything recent works under the assumption that
since RAM is cheap, eveyone has plenty of it.

Nevermind the fact that most of those RAM cards have not been
manufactured in several years and are almost as difficult to
find as graphics cards, but who cares since SIMMs are cheap...

--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS