Re: [MiNT] ssh question

On 2000-8-28, Jo Even Skarstein <joska@nvg.org> wrote:

>> SSH cannot be succesfully compiled using libs newer than
>> 0.49, or at least, the binaries die with that error, if
>> compiled using newer libraries.
>
> So what are you *really* saying then? That it's only your own
> binaries that fails?

I rephrased a bit and detailed here...

My own binaries also worked, when compiled using MINTLIB 0.49 and
GCC 2.7.2.3, but not since newer GCC or MINTLIBS.

Any binary made with the new GCC+MINTLIB produces the error
mentioned and, this time any amount of stack won't help; it's
just plain broken.

Anyhow, EGCS is just plain broken, as numerous packages' mailing
lists reported.  For instance, Pine's problem with attachments
always being sent out as plain/text is caused by an EGCS flaw and
there is a publicly known patch for this.

For this reason, I think that newer MINTLIB relying on the new
GCC (which really is EGCS) is a curse.  MINTLIB should _not_ be
made dependant upon a patched EGCS to work!  This is plain wrong!

> Does Nightowl use your binary?

I never distributed my binaries to anyone.

> Btw. the daemon has never really worked, regardless of kernel.

I have used it here a lot.  It worked well until about kernel
1.15.1, then started reporting the error mentioned by Nighbowl.
Using my own 1.15.5, I can use it again with scp, but not login
because sshd fails to find our leading pty.

--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS