Re: [MiNT] XaAES v0.902

Hi Jo Even

Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

> Wow, very impressive stuff :-) It runs very nicely on my TT, and at last
> CAB works properly. Right now I'm browsing through the latest updates
> on www.freemint.de on my TT running CAB :-)

Great!

> I've noticed a few things though:
>
> 1. Windows with no widgets should have a pixel-wide border to remain
>    compatible with other AES-implementations.

That's easy. :-)  The width of this margin is already a separate parameter to
the internal create_window() function.

> 2. The mouse-button is often "released" to soon, which makes it a bit
>    annoying to move windows around.

Amazingly, I think this will be gone when I have implemented live moving & sizing.
Because then the busy vq_mouse loop will go.

But that is not a real fix of course. The moose still needs some work.

> 3. MiNT locks up right after the "NEWFATFS"-message if I try to start
>    XaAES from mint.cnf. It's possible that I'm using the wrong device
>    though, I'm not sure what to use with a CD2 running NVDI5/ET4000.

If I have understood it well, when you use INIT or GEM commands to start XaAES,
it will be started after all cnf processing. Is this still true?

> I'm sure you'll fix this as well, the improvements so far has been
> amazing. It also feels very fast, faster than N.AES on my TT. In mono
> it's faster than anything else, including MagiC.

This is achieved mostly by improving the mere code engineering qualities.
No tricks. Just good, straight forward C. No assembly.

And of course by removing about 10 Gemdos call's per AES call. :-)

This also means that I plan to remove the switchable 'call direct' features,
which are already disabled anyhow.

Note also, that there is yet NO redraw optimization at ALL.

--
Groeten; Regards.
Henk Robbers.       http://people.A2000.nl/hrobbers/Homepage.html