Re: [MiNT] toswin2 vt100

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 09:23:16PM -0500, Noah silva wrote:

> Since I was adding stuff to my profile on my machine, and other machines
> to trick them into thinking I was running vt100, I decided to make a
> cleaner solution.  I patched the toswin2.app to just return vt52 or vt100
> in the first place, instead of tw52 and tw100.
>
> If anyone else is interested in this version, I could make it publicly
> available.

In fact TW2 /did/ set $TERM to "vt52"/"vt100" instead of
"tw52"/"tw100".  But that turned out to be bad because on your local
machine you would then pick the wrong terminfo/termcap entries (try to run
mutt, lynx, pine, vi or whatever in "vt52", it's frustrating).  As far as
I remember you don't even have to patch your TW2, there is a switch for
that in the config dialog.

The problem is that "vt52" is only a subset of "tw52" ("tw52" is a _lot_
more powerful than "vt52") and on the other hand "tw100" is only a subset
of "vt100", a lot of features are missing (and color stuff is completely
messed up).

If you want to work with TW2 under MiNT you better stick with
"tw52" instead of "tw100".  Most curses applications can better grok with
that than with "tw100".  If you regularly log into a remote machine that
doesn't know about "tw52", well, it's not witchcraft to add this to your
login script:

	text x"$TERM" = xtw52 && TERM="vt52"
	text x"$TERM" = xtw100 && TERM="vt100" # or "ansi"
	export TERM

Ciao

Guido