Re: [MiNT] X

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Ralph Lowinski wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 20:54:39 -0500 (EST), Noah silva <nsilva@sparcy.atariuniverse.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > It occured to me that if there is a given program like "xeyes", you have
> > to make sure to run the X server first, before running xeyes, as the
> > user.  Of course if you have tons of unix stuff installed, I suppose you
> > would set it up so X always was auto-run by N.AES, etc.
>
> It's also annoying for testing to have always to start the server
> _and_ some client ... :-)
>
> > It makes sense to me to add an extension like:
> >
> > xeyes.x11, or something similar, and associate .x11 to the X server, so
> > that it is sure to launch.  (but the X program would just need to be
> > modified to execute it's command-line and AV_start arguments).
>
> Exactely that I was trying some time before.  Therefore you can
> drag one client to the server's icon and the server will launch the
> program found in it's command line.

wow!

> There is one problem with auto starting by .x11 file extension:
> All desktops I know first checks if a double clicked file is an
> executable and if so, launch it immediately.  So the server isn't
> notified because files being executable has higher priority then
> their file extension.

At first I thought you meant executable by the executable header, but I
see you probably mean that it has +x in a unix filesystem.  Perhaps we
could make the .x11 files NOT +x, but the X server can load and execute
them somehow anyway?  What about on VFAT partitions?

> Another solution could be to have a small start program watching
> port 6000 where every client connects to if started.

I thought about that, but it's another TSR, and we have too many already.

> [...]
> > I managed to run it (it spit out a lot of debugging stuff over my GEM
> > desktop), and also run xclock and oclock and the x info program (which
> > said I was running in mono).  When I tried to run the xeyes, my machine
> > froze, so that it needed to be rebooted.
>
> That's interresting.  Reporting monochrome support is always correct
> (required by the X Core Protocol) but there should be reported the
> real color model also.  What tells the server about that at startup
> time?

I start the server, and it prints (all over the desktop! :<)

EEKS 0.01 (beta) [Dec 15 2000:1] X Server Starting...
 using port 6000 (fd 6) for maximum of 20 connections,
 AES id #19 at VDI #2:16 [1024/749] (361*264 mm) 16 planes
 screen format (EdDI 1.10) is packed pixels
 loaded 80 fonts
... ready

> Greetings,
>     Ralph

I wonder if I should try to run CDE on it? ;), but it has a built-in
window manager, yes?

Thanks,
   Noah