Re: [MiNT] X

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 20:54:39 -0500 (EST), Noah silva <nsilva@sparcy.atariuniverse.com> wrote:
[...]
> It occured to me that if there is a given program like "xeyes", you have
> to make sure to run the X server first, before running xeyes, as the
> desktop will have no way to know to launch the server first.  This may be
> fine for testing, but I have a feeling could be annoying for the regular
> user.  Of course if you have tons of unix stuff installed, I suppose you
> would set it up so X always was auto-run by N.AES, etc.

It's also annoying for testing to have always to start the server
_and_ some client ... :-)

> It makes sense to me to add an extension like:
>
> xeyes.x11, or something similar, and associate .x11 to the X server, so
> that it is sure to launch.  (but the X program would just need to be
> modified to execute it's command-line and AV_start arguments).

Exactely that I was trying some time before.  Therefore you can
drag one client to the server's icon and the server will launch the
program found in it's command line.
There is one problem with auto starting by .x11 file extension:
All desktops I know first checks if a double clicked file is an
executable and if so, launch it immediately.  So the server isn't
notified because files being executable has higher priority then
their file extension.
Another solution could be to have a small start program watching
port 6000 where every client connects to if started.

[...]
> I managed to run it (it spit out a lot of debugging stuff over my GEM
> desktop), and also run xclock and oclock and the x info program (which
> said I was running in mono).  When I tried to run the xeyes, my machine
> froze, so that it needed to be rebooted.

That's interresting.  Reporting monochrome support is always correct
(required by the X Core Protocol) but there should be reported the
real color model also.  What tells the server about that at startup
time?

Greetings,
    Ralph