Re: [MiNT] kernel 1.15.10b fragmentation

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 02:52:50 +0100, Guido Flohr wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 11:17:10AM -0500, Lonny Pursell wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 19:41:54 +0100, Guido Flohr wrote:
>> That goes back to Petr's original idea.  Could it be taken one
>> step further I wonder.  For example if some app can be tweaked
>> to run under MP, how about an effort to update the archive and
>> have the old archives on the popular ftp sites replaced?
>
>Have you got binary patches in mind?  With software still being
>maintained you will probably do a better job to ask the author to fix the
>program.  With commercial stuff, binary patches are problematic because
>they would usually violate the originators copyright.  Even changing the
>stacksize or modifying program flags would actually be such a binary
>patch.

I was not thinking of binary patches to the extent Draco took with
ST-Guide, just more along the lines of just the prg header flags.

>I think that "black list" would really be enough.  There are not that many
>people that are enthusiastic enough to make their system mp-proof.

You are probably right.  Best thing to do might be to contact
the original author, perhaps if anything they can re-distribute
it with adjusted header flags, or some added info in the docs
regarding mint with MP enabled.

Lonny Pursell    atari AT bright DOT net    www.bright.net/~atari/