Holger W. will mind (Re: [MiNT] kernel 1.15.10b fragmentation)

> > wished there was more info to.  I suspect often we who test MP
> > end up fighting with common apps such as st-guide.  ;-)

As about ST-Guide: I have decompiled the program in order to fix the
annoying bug with colour IMG embedded in a hyp document. At the occasion I
have discovered why it is not MP friendly: namely, Holger does not know
about Mxalloc() call. All the memory is allocated with Malloc().

At the time the IMG bug is stil there, since I only managed so far to
identify the routine where it occurs (I decompiled ST-Guide
yesterday). However, I already have removed all calls to Super(), do some
hand-optimizing here and there, and so far the program got shorter by some
0.5k (also because Devpac can automatically do some optimizations). It
came to my mind, that I can modify the appl_write() calls ST-Guide does so
that it would use readable buffers instead of protected ones.

I also discovered, that even unmodified ST-Guide binary can safely be
marked "--mbest-fit", because it's stack (4k) is explicitly embedded in
the BSS segment of the program. This should shorten its starting time,
especially under memory protection, especially on slower machines.

I know ST-Guide is copyrighted. Sue me.

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
mail: draco@atari.org

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** Taka to juz natura pospolstwa, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.