RE: [MiNT] XaAES / GEM memory issues

This is where we have to make the very difficult design decision to assume
that the user have a brain. If there's only a certain amount of processes
that can have F_OS_SPECIAL privileges (1 or 2, it can't possibly be more
with current AES implementations), and this amount can be specified in
mint.cnf (it could even be zero for the really paranoid ones), it shouldn't
be difficult to make this virtually foolproof.

Ofcourse, if somebody hooks into the AES trap and do some nasty stuff from
here there's not much one can do. But this is a different problem. If you
can bend vectors you can also do a lot of damage without exploiting
F_OS_SPECIAL.

> > I'm not 100% sure that it was this vector... STiNG use it for it's own
> > scheduler IIRC. There was a heated discussion about exactly this on the
> > MiNTlist a couple of years ago.
>
> Ah yes. I remember. That was the privilege violation vector.

So then this is not a problem.

Jo Even Skarstein

entity to whom it is addressed. Please also be aware that
Vital Insurance/DnB Group cannot accept any payment orders or other
legally binding correspondance with customers as a part of an email.

This email message has been virus checked by the virus programs used
in the Vital Insurance/DnB Group.